Friday 16 May 2014

Abayas, AZ And I

I now love wearing the abaya so much that all other wear that I fancied so much before don’t look as beautiful as they did to me before.

Yet this love didn’t just come at first sight. It was a love that came through much understanding and appreciation of what the abaya means to me as a Muslim woman.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters, and the believing women, to cover themselves with a loose garment; this will be more proper, that they may be recognised, and thus they will not be given trouble; and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
The Holy Quran, Surah 33 Al-Ahzab, Verse 59

Of course, like in most aspects of my life after marriage, AZ showed me the way to accepting the abaya as part of my life.

I had many reservations at first and used to have to have many questions. I asked myself and I asked AZ too. “I am already wearing the hijab.” I thought. So, I am covered well enough, am I not? Thinking about it now, I do feel a little ashamed that I had some of these thoughts. One of the very silly arguments I had with AZ was that I loved salwar khameezs too much that I just couldn’t imagine wearing plain black abayas all the times.

But, at the back of my mind, I knew that I was never completely at ease when I wore these other traditional dresses too. I was always conscious of whether my tops were loose enough, or whether my pants were tight. Work clothes were seriously another challenge. Was I really covered enough? How many times have I decided to wear something on a morning and stood in the mirror wondering if I should change into another looser top?

And so I was staging a ‘I-am-not-so-ready’ front with AZ, which my dear husband patiently waited to wear off, while having faith in my imaan that I would willingly wear it very soon. He never once forced me on this, and yet spoke to me so very regularly on why I should change my wardrobe (needless to say, his first gift to me was an abaya, Alhamdhulilah).

Even in all these moments, I was already doing a lot of online research on the different types of abayas that I could wear to work, and the prices and places  we could buy them at. I didn’t tell AZ yet of course.

I am sure AZ made lots of duas that Allah (S.W.T) brings me closer to the abaya too. And I did too. And Allah (S.W.T) made me realise this soon too.

Alhamdhulilah. Today, these black beauties are the order and treasure of my wardrobe.

Source: Internet
This is a long overdue post, and as I write this and post this beautiful picture of this couple which to me is a reflection of our life – AZ and I – this is also a reflection of the love of both our parents’ love for their better halves.

And… so significantly, today is also my lovely parents’ wedding anniversary. Alhamdhulilah. May Allah (S.W.T) bless them with the same love and imaan till Jannah and in Jannah. Ameen.

If you are reading this, this is my humble request that you say a dua for my parents too. May Allah (S.W.T) reward you abundantly. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment